Tuesday, April 17, 2012

My Current Favorite Salad

Most of my family knows me as the best salad maker. I don't say that to brag, it's just I LOVE to get creative with the salad and they appreciate that.  The number one rule to great salads is homemade dressings. I have bought store bought dressings a handful of times in my life and every time I am left incredibly disappointed. I realize that making dressing takes about maybe 5 minutes and is SO worth it every single time!!!! I go through salad phases too where I get hooked on certain ingredients for both salad and dressing. This particular phase has lasted over a year which is a really long time for a salad phase, so it is obviously sensational!

Salad
mixed greens
avocado
red onion, thinly sliced
grapes or strawberries chopped
celery thinly sliced
cilantro
sunflower seeds
dried cranberries

Dressing
balsamic vinegar
dijon mustartd
honey
salt and pepper
olive oil

I often make enough dressing for 2 dinner salads for my husband and I so I don't have measurements for larger quantities. The key is equal parts vinegar and oil, but don't mix oil in until the end while vigorously whisking other ingredients. I usually do a dollop of mustard, a drizzle of honey and salt and pepper to taste. I probably use about  2-3 T each of vinegar and oil. If you want to make a larger quantity, start with 1/4  cup each of vinegar and oil, 2-3 T mustard, 1-2 T honey, and salt and pepper. Leftovers will keep in the fridge for awhile. Mix them up in a mason jar and then leftovers can be easily stored.This dressing is a little on the vinegary side which is how I like it. Traditional dressings are 3 part oil to 1 part vinegar which is a little too oily for me, but you can always adjust the amounts to find the ratio that you like best.

No comments: